When you get your nutrition program really dialed in, your training program will work like magic.
One of the habits you need to get into is eating every 2-3 hours.
Meals are pretty easy to visualize:
- Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, melon, sausage
- Lunch: Chicken, Roast beef, spinach salad, carrots, bell pepper
- Dinner: steak, salmon, broccoli, asparagus
But it’s harder to come up with good snack ideas. I mean, the time it takes to chew steak, spinach, and a bell pepper will use up a whole 15 minute break (and then you won’t even have a chance to pee!)
I was re-reading Primal Body-Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas and found a great list of primal snacks. Check them out, try a few, and leave a comment with your favorite healthy snacks!
- Raw nuts (that have preferably first been soaked overnight in salt water, drained, rinsed, and dried in a 150 degree oven to eliminate phytates and trypsin inhibitors) including: macadamia, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts
- Hard boiled or deviled eggs (organic, free-range)
- Sardines packed in olive oil (very rich in zinc and omega-3)
- Tuna packed in olive oil
- Tuna or chicken salad (w/o any macaroni)
- Sliced seasoned avocado
- Pate (no crackers or bread!)
- Grass-fed liverwurst or braunschweiger sausage
- Olives [note from Luke: Whole Foods in Reno has a great selection of olives!]
- Cream cheese balls, herbed or plain, with an olive center
- Coconut flakes
- Green drinks (no sugar!)
- Almond or other nut butter – NOT peanut or cashew (use celery sticks or a spoon)
- Organic, full-fat cheese slices (preferably raw milk based) or a slice of brie (goat and/or sheep milk)
- Homemade salmon jerky, beef jerky, or pemmican (see recipes in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon) or a good homemade-style beef jerky sold at a natural foods-type meat counter
- Raw veggies and homemade avocado dip or guacamole
- Sliced turkey or roast beef rolled up with cheese or cream cheese
- Lox or smoked salmon – with or without cream cheese
- Shrimp cocktail with lemon
The secret: Fuel your body more often, not less. You don’t want to feel starved or deprived.
By fueling your body throughout the day you’ll keep your metabolism revving!